LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

NSW Fraud by Following Employer's Instructions - Criminal Record?

Discussion in 'Employment Law Forum' started by 3mma, 24 March 2015.

1. 3mma

3mma Member

Hi everyone.
    For a few years now I've been committing what I can only describe as fraud, where I make fake receipts so I can send faulty goods back to our suppliers. I was told everyone does it, don't worry. I had no idea it could be illegal. Then I felt like I couldn't say I wouldn't do it for fear of losing my job once I suspected it might be fraud. It's now expected of me and almost daily. I'm scared of what might happen if I refuse to do it. I'm scared of going to jail or having a criminal record. I've kept this in for so long I can't take it anymore. I've been job hunting for months. I just don't know what to do anymore.

2. Ivy

Ivy Well-Known Member

Hi Emma,

Firstly, are the goods you are sending back a) actually faulty and b) from the supplier that you are returning them to?
    Because as far as I am aware, the business has the right to send back faulty goods (that are faulty because of the manufacturer) with or without a receipt.

If this isn't your situation, and for example the business is fraudulently claiming money or goods, then let us know, and you will need to contact a solicitor as soon as you can.

3. 3mma

3mma Member

Hi, yes they are faulty and returning to supplier we got them from

4. Ivy

Ivy Well-Known Member

Hi again,

Look, someone else can chip in if they disagree with me, but I don't think there are any major issues here.