NSW Fraud by Following Employer's Instructions - Criminal Record?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

3mma

24 March 2015
Hi everyone.
For a few years now I've been committing what I can only describe as fraud, where I make fake receipts so I can send faulty goods back to our suppliers. I was told everyone does it, don't worry. I had no idea it could be illegal. Then I felt like I couldn't say I wouldn't do it for fear of losing my job once I suspected it might be fraud. It's now expected of me and almost daily. I'm scared of what might happen if I refuse to do it. I'm scared of going to jail or having a criminal record. I've kept this in for so long I can't take it anymore. I've been job hunting for months. I just don't know what to do anymore.

Ivy

10 February 2015
Hi Emma,

Firstly, are the goods you are sending back a) actually faulty and b) from the supplier that you are returning them to?
Because as far as I am aware, the business has the right to send back faulty goods (that are faulty because of the manufacturer) with or without a receipt.

If this isn't your situation, and for example the business is fraudulently claiming money or goods, then let us know, and you will need to contact a solicitor as soon as you can.

Ivy

10 February 2015
Hi again,

Look, someone else can chip in if they disagree with me, but I don't think there are any major issues here.