VIC Frankston City Council Parking Fines?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mollis

20 July 2015
Good morning all...

A couple of weeks ago, I received in the post a $165 parking fines with an extra $25 applied to it for non-payment from Frankston City Council.

This was the first notification I had received as there had been no fine on my vehicle when I returned to it.

I appealed and was sent a picture of the notice on the windscreen and they will not remove the extra $25 penalty.

I am willing to pay the $165 but can't see how I should be held liable for the fallibility in the system they use for applying the infringement notices.

This seems extremely high handed and I am wondering if anyone else has encountered this. I am seriously considering taking it to court just on the principle.

Would be a great way of raising extra revenue for them. Take a picture and remove the fine which results in an extra $25 each time. Highly unlikely I know but...still.

Thanks in advance

Mollis

20 July 2015
Bumping this in the hope that someone has encountered this....and can share their insight

Thanks

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi @Mollis
I can imagine that the process has been quite frustrating for you.
  1. Do you think someone removed the infringement notice or it blew away in the wind, etc.? If wind, did you check the Bureau of Meteorology for the area on that day for strong winds to support your appeal? See Frankston, Vic - Daily Weather Observations
  2. To clarify, you went through the "Council Review" process with Frankston Council and they rejected your appeal for a review? Parking Infringements

Mollis

20 July 2015
Hi @John R

Re the missing notice, I have been sent a picture of it on the windscreen with the wiper blade on it which would mean it's unlikely to have been mother nature and more likely to be a smart arse who thought it would be funny.

I appealed through the process outlined by the council and they rejected saying that as they had proof it was on my car they consider it as being 'served'.

I have spoken to people about this and the few that had been through something similar had on each occasion had the extra penalty removed and asked to pay just the initial fine...which is all I'm after here.

I have requested this be heard in the Magistrates and made it clear that all I am wanting is the extra penalty to be removed.

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi @Mollis - I understand and wish you all the best in court. I'd also suggest seeing if there is any surrounding CCTV available to support your position?
I also note that Frankston City Council operate their own CCTV footage which you may be able to access time-limited recordings from Frankston Police per Security Camera Program CCTV

Reactions: Mollis

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Good morning all...

A couple of weeks ago I received in the post a $165 parking fine with an extra $25 applied to it for non payment from Frankston Council.

This was the first notification I had received as there had been no fine on my vehicle when I returned to it.

I appealed and was sent a picture of the notice on the windscreen and they will not remove the extra $25 penalty.

I am willing to pay the $165 but can't see how I should be held liable for the fallibility in the system they use for applying the infringement notices.

This seems extremely high handed and I am wondering if anyone else has encountered this. I am seriously considering taking it to court just on the principle.

Would be great way of raising extra revenue for them. Take a picture and remove the fine which results in an extra $25 each time. Highly unlikely I know but...still.

Thanks in advance

I went through a similar thing some time ago, but I use a two wheeler not a car. Best thing to do is call them and not use the review process, if you call them you can talk to a person and state specifically that you are not disputing the fine itself but appreciate waving the extra fee, I think this would work, it did to me. Going to court will make it formal and I don't think you have chance of winning unless you have strong evidence to support your case.
Good luck

Reactions: Mollis and John R

rjm

2 February 2020
I found Frankston council difficult to deal with. I received parking ticket, hadn't been near the place & the reg number belonged to a car that was written off years before. It was obvious that the parking officer had simply typed in a wrong number or letter. My car was a Celica, the description they had was a ute. The plates had been handed in by my insurance company. I made several phone calls, spoke to supervisor, still wouldn't cancel it. When i rang Vic Roads to try & get proof of the plates having been handed in even they couldn't believe the trouble I was having. After several hours on the phone I got bored of it & told them if they wanted to waste their money I'd see them in court. Funnily enough they let it go. Infuriating waste of my time.

Reactions: Mollis

Mollis

20 July 2015
Thanks all....

I escalated things and advised that I would take it court but restated my position that I was only contesting the additional $25 and they have backed down.....after a long and email lecture about why they were being very magnanimous in their decision etc etc....

Thanks again..

rjm

2 February 2020
Well done! Their insistence to dig their heals in on cases they know they can't win is infuriating. A lot of people in my situation would of just paid it, rather than go through the court process. I dare say they're aware of that.