VIC Former employer withholding promised pay

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Akiraa

4 September 2019
Hi. Last week my employer sent me to go and get a forklift license because she wanted me to have it for the job. I paid for this out of my own pocket, and she said i would be paid for the two days off it took to gain the license.

Today i called in sick and happened to end up with a new, more suitable job starting tomorrow. I was employed casually so gave the agency a call to notify them that i wouldn't be back.

This evening i have received my payslip for last week and checked over it due to a heads up from a workmate who overheard the supervisor who took my leaving personally and overreacted saying she would now not be paying me for the days off to obtain the license.
Turns out i was indeed not paid for the days off.
Do i have any grounds to argue this as i have no written evidence?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
... i have no written evidence?

^ This is a problem, plus the fact you were employed as a casual, plus there is an expectation you'd remain at their work using your newly qualified skills.

While you may have legal grounds for the 2 days pay, you obtained the benefit by obtaining your forklift license so I suggest play fair fair, move on, and enjoy your new job.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
You've got nothing.
Move on, and get on with the new job.

Akiraa

4 September 2019
Thanks for your replies. I thought as much. Just pissed off as i only got the license because she wanted me to, and probably wont even use it now, and it cost me almost half a week's pay