QLD Formal Face to Face Meetings with Employer?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

kenzi

5 August 2014
Hello,

I am unsure as to whether there is a correct answer to my question, but if an employee request a formal meeting face to face, can an employer decline and opt for a teleconference?

My question relates to requesting of a formal meeting of my employer with all parties involved in a complaint that has escalated to disciplinary action. I emailed head office and requested the meeting giving 1 weeks notice of my intention to hold this meeting. The HR manager feels it is a waste of HR resources to attend as does the state manager, as it requires driving some 50mins from head office. The HR manager also stated that he would refer it to an associate to handle even though he wrote in an email some weeks before that he invited me to a meeting to discuss the issues. The state manager attends the branch to speak to the branch manager all the time.

I can see no valid reason for management to refuse my request other than not to answer my questions. Issues related to miscommunication has been a key point in the disciplinary action taken against me with no formal interview. I feel a face to face meeting will make all parties aware of the issues and be able to reach a resolution quicker. A teleconference is both impersonal and information can be lost in the transmission.

Is the request unreasonable?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
"Is the request unreasonable?" No. Though it doesn't mean they have to follow your request. If they refuse your request you should write and send your concerns to the HR person before the meeting so there is a record of your request and why believe it should be face-to-face.

kenzi

5 August 2014
"Is the request unreasonable?" No. Though it doesn't mean they have to follow your request. If they refuse your request you should write and send your concerns to the HR person before the meeting so there is a record of your request and why believe it should be face-to-face.
Thank you Rod but that was HRs response, that it is a waste of company resources to allocate a HR person to attend a face to face meeting. And just to add further insult they have 2 HR personnel turn up to the office today and still refuse a face to face meeting.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Make sure you keep a diary of these events. Includes names of the relevant people.

kenzi

5 August 2014
Thanks, yes all duly noted. I dont think that will make much difference because come monday, Im assuming i will be marched out and dismissed for not following a company directive to relocate.