VIC Forced Separation By husband

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Shristi

5 July 2017
My husband and I are facing issues due to living with my inlaws who are old fashioned and controlling. Now his forcing me to separate. Last week my inlaws made an immature police complaint that something's just wrong with me and claimed I'm mentally unstable. No charges, police talked to me and said resolve family dispute yourself. From that minute onwards my husband talks of nothing but separation and divorce. But I don't want to go that far and he isn't willing to talk due to heavy family involvement. He treats me like an enemy. I am not an Australian citizen and have no other place to go. I'm simply lost. Please help.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Try counselling in the first instance to see if the marriage can be saved. If that fails then try mediation to arrange an amicable split of property.

Shristi

5 July 2017
Try counselling in the first instance to see if the marriage can be saved. If that fails then try mediation to arrange an amicable split of property.

Thank you for your advice. But I have tried talking and nothing works. He refuses counsellingThis was a short marriage of 1year. Like I said I am a foreign national so I also don't know if I have enough time left in the country. I am on bridging visa, and any minute my partner visa application can be rejected. Would it now be wise to engage a lawyer? We don't have any joint property but I have shared my life's saving with him for bills, debts, rent, etc. it's amounting to 1000 of dollars. Now his not returning any single cent and pressuring me to get out of home and leave country. He has declared his true reason of marrying me, based on my educational background he expected me to find a good job here and pay his mortagage. He does have a property with his parents only. I am so stranded at this point.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
OK. Recommend seeing a legal community centre in the first instance to talk about the visa, divorce and property split. Note that you cannot get a divorce until after 12 months of separation, which can include time living under the same roof.

Shristi

5 July 2017
OK. Recommend seeing a legal community centre in the first instance to talk about the visa, divorce and property split. Note that you cannot get a divorce until after 12 months of separation, which can include time living under the same roof.

My husband has been sending messages to immigration behind my back. So I have confirmed the separation and withdrawn my partner visa application. It's better to go back home to family and friends then to suffer through so much stress, pain and mental torture. I did however seek legal assistance. Will have to do this via phone from my home country. I'm booked to fly out of Australia on Friday (so glad) but I will continue to fight for my rights considering I invested so much money in this relationship.
Thanks again. I hope nobody has to go through this situation in their lives. I trusted this man and he threw me out like I was nothing.

MartyK

4 June 2016
I'm very sorry for your situation. However, as you are now leaving the Country, I do not understand exactly what it is you are fighting for? Save your money and sanity. Unless there is significant property, you will be better off letting this go and moving on in the end!