Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

QLD Filling in when Other Staff are on Personal Leave?

Discussion in 'Employment Law Forum' started by Tam, 2 March 2015.

1. Tam

Tam Member

I work every Monday Tuesday and Wednesday, permanent part time. My employer has given me a new contract that states that I have to be available on the Thursday and Friday, with no notice, to fill in for other staff on personal leave. While I don't really mind if I'm in town, I often go away for the 4 days I'm not working, and am not available to work. Can they enforce this under employment law? I haven't signed the contract.

2. Ivy

Ivy Well-Known Member

Hi Tam,

If your current contract is permanent as you say, then chances are your employer can't make you sign a new contract with different conditions. Have you had a good read of your contract and the relevant modern award or enterprise agreement that your contract comes under?

Also, have you discussed your concerns with your employer/HR?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...