VIC Family Court - What is a Court Report?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Missii

12 October 2014
What is a court report? How is that used in a family law proceeding and what sort of information is on it?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Do you mean a family report?

If so, a family report is an assessment of the family dynamic. Essentially, it is used to identify any opinions a child might have about their living arrangements, assess how healthy or established a child's attachment to each parent is, uncover any issues around alienation or similar, and basically provide an outline to the court of any problems that might exist, and any recommendations as to how those problems could be addressed by orders.

Family reports are carried out by experts in the field - usually a child psychologist or a social worker - in association with the kids, the parents and other people who might play a particularly significant part in the kids' lives, such as grandparents or step-parents. All such parties will be interviewed and observed interacting with the child.

The primary function of a family report in terms of court proceedings is to provide the court with an expert opinion about what is or isn't in the child's best interests.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Reactions: John R

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Don't denigrate or criticise the other parent in any way, shape or form. If you're seen to be unsupportive of the other parent, you're seen to be unsupportive of the child's relationship with the other parent, and the consultant will be left questioning whether the child is receiving a negative message about the other parent, be it discreetly or indiscreetly.

Don't coach the child to say anything in particular to the consultant, like "I hate living with mum/dad, I want to live with my dad/mum." The consultant will be able to pick up whether the child has been coached or not.

Don't complain about the family law system. There is a time and place for everything, and your interview with the consultant is not it.

Reactions: CasKat and N Knight