NSW Falsely Accused of Fault in a Car Accident?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Louise too

28 November 2018
Please help us!

My 17-year-old son was taking her sister home from sport and a lady in a car merged from the left lane into his right lane (broken lines). She indicated with her right blinker and appears she moved straight over to his lane without checking her blind spot.

My son applied the breaks but it was too late and her left tail light was cracked along with little scuff on side of the car. My son had a small scuff and the right-hand side of the bull bar.

They exchanged details. And then we received a letter from NRMA insurance asking to explain what happened.

Then the next letter was a bill for $807, which includes 4-day car hire and left and right tail lights, etc.
He was not insured, my mistake, I mistakenly thought ctp was the third party!

Please help us!

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
First, NRMA sounds like their insurer - they can't send you a bill, they send you a claim. A bill infers you have an existing agreement to pay. You have the right to ask them to substantiate the amounts claimed, including the provision of quotes for the damage.

Next, the circumstances you've described don't add up:
- Woman merging from left lane into right lane, where your son was;
- Her left tail light got cracked; and
- His right side of the bull bar was scuffed.

This would indicate that she was merging to her left, not to her right. You might need to go and reassess what has actually happened.

Louise too

28 November 2018
Oh no I’m so sorry. I wrote it wrong. She was in left-hand lane merging into the right lane where my son was. Her right tail light was cracked. My son's left side of the bull bar was slightly scuffed.

We got an invoice from NRMA insurance along with the itemised invoice of repairs and car hire.

There is no option on the letter about what to do if we still do not agree with the decision and how they came to the conclusion, what is her version of events?

My son in first-year apprenticeship and I’m a single mum. I feel so stressed and trapped with this.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com