VIC Ex Wife refusing to let children attend Fathers wedding

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

mkr

11 January 2016
Children aged 8 and 11 live with Mother majority of time. Divorce 5 years ago. Father lives and works overseas, usually spends school holidays and annual leave periods with children.
Father plans to remarry and scheduled wedding in Australia over school hols to best accommodate attendance of children.
Advised ex wife of plans, and intention to discuss with children. Wife has since advised she will not allow the children to attend nor meet new wife. Asks questions regarding her race/ethnicity and made derogatory racial comments as well.
If the situation cannot be resolved amicably, and the wife support the children’s attendance at the wedding, can the matter be promptly resolved through the courts? This may be difficult with the Father mostly outside of Australia?
There are no Parenting court orders in place, and no issues of domestic violence or other complications like that. Just a Dad who wants to have his children participate in his wedding and be able to spend holidays with them, without obstruction or racial slander.

sammy01

27 September 2015
When is the wedding?
Mate, you should have just gotten married and told her afterwards. I hate to say it but I think the horse has bolted...

Tremaine

5 February 2019
Without orders, you are a bit powerless. When’s the wedding? If It’s still a few months away, you might be able to get interim orders in place before then, but you’ll have to act quickly. The system is a slow-moving machine.

Atticus

6 February 2019
I agree with above comments... At the moment she holds all the cards..

It's one thing stopping kids from attending your wedding, but if she is going to refuse the kids EVER meet or be in the presence of your wife, then that is going to be a problem... Personally I would be getting straight on to relationships Australia or some other accredited mediation service to get the ball rolling.... It's not a quick process.. Attempting mediation is mandatory before you can file for court orders, & if her refusal continues, you want to be as much ahead of the game as possible,

Unless your new Mrs is a convicted axe murderer or similar there is no way a court will restrict your kids access to her or you

mkr

11 January 2016
Thanks all for the feedback. I am appealing to her to be rationale at this point and hope her tune changes...
Issue is I am currently overseas but am returning to Australia once before the wedding (to spend time with my children). Will have some mediation lined up to initiate at short notice during that visit if things are still adversarial. Appreciate the advice

Atticus

6 February 2019
Will have some mediation lined up to initiate at short notice during that visit if things are still adversarial.

Just keep in mind only an accredited mediator can issue the required section 60I certificate that you will need to file with a court application should it go that far... Good Luck