QLD Ex refusing to return the children, ignoring court orders.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

sammy01

27 September 2015
contact mensline - I believe they can get you a 15 min appointment. Nothing will happen until Monday. so can you afford a solicitor? or are you going to have to lodge the recovery order application on your own?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I've checked my children's phones as well and they are still at her house, they are 6 hours away so they should have already left by now so I won't be travelling down on the flight to pick them up.

Potentially useful info for your affidavit when explaining why you didn't go to the pick up.

I would not expect many lawyers to be working on the weekend anyway. For now sit tight, you know you kids are safe, and do the recovery ex-parte request first thing Monday morning.

Shadz

6 September 2016
Got hold of a Lawyer today, was advised to still travel down to Victoria to the airport and be there at the handover time as you'd suggested Rod.

I went as far as being at the airport, checked in, ready to board the plane down and intended to go but both the 2 older children (15 & 13) were texting me at the time of boarding saying they were still at her house and hadn't packed/had been told they weren't going to the airport and I had a phone call with them at that time as well. Their mother had also restated by email today that she wouldn't be coming to the airport. I also took screenshots of find my iphone showing their location a minute after the call ended.

At that point the handover/return flight they should have been on was in 4 hours but they were still 6 hours away from the airport so i did not board my flight down.

so can you afford a solicitor? or are you going to have to lodge the recovery order application on your own?

Definitely can't afford to pay a lawyer after being forced to pay for last minute flights after she'd previously changed the pick up time/date but thankfully I should qualify for legal aid and the lawyer I spoke with today does legal aid funded cases which is a small spot of luck so I will be getting them to represent me. worst case, if I'm not approved for legal aid funding I'll still use a lawyer and have to get friends/family to help with initial costs. Too serious an issue to do it unrepresented.

thank you for all your responses.

Last edited: