QLD EX PAYOUT

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Palms

12 November 2019
Hello, joint tenants and my partner is only entitled to $6k of equity but is asking for $9k.
Unforuntely can’t afford a lawyer or solicitor so to buy him out I’ll have to give $9k.
Any advice ? I have to borrow money off my grandparents to get him out of my life. Life sucks!!

sammy01

27 September 2015
ok - so what makes you think he is only entitled to $6k?

Also - you wanna give some more details - See for any asset division to be legally binding you both need legal advice and a legally binding contract needs to be done. NOT SURE??? but it sounds like you're thinking you can just give him some $$$ and then he walks away? NOT TRUE - WARNING WARNING. If you do that he can come back for a second bite of the cherry.

Palms

12 November 2019
Hi Sammy ,

thank you sorry should have given more details.
It’s actually $7k but he wants $10k and says he doesn’t care about the facts and figures. It’s turned ugly unfortunately and after 7 years can not believe this is the guy I fell in love with. Nonetheless these things happen unforuntely and fortunate not be married to have kids can only imagine how much harder that would be.

I went in with $39,000 deposit (all my hard earn savings) he went in with nothing .
House value is $470,000 less $419,000 (remaining an) = $51,000 less my despot -$39,000 = $12,000 less the $5k break fee (were on fixed rate) = $7,000 each (50/50 joint tenants unfortunately)

but again, he doesn’t care about facts so I can’t afford take court or keep going solicitor so I’ll have to give him $10k to buy him out my life.

Any legal opinion will appreciate this is extremely stressful time and I wouldn’t wish it upon my worse enemy.

Atticus

6 February 2019
Any advice ? I have to borrow money off my grandparents to get him out of my life.
Make sure you formalise it.... Having a court stamped final order draws a line so that neither can come back at a later date to seek more
I can’t afford take court or keep going solicitor so I’ll have to give him $10k to buy him out my life.....Any legal opinion will appreciate
You can formalise it in 2 ways...
1) A Binding Financial agreement (You will both need to see independent solicitors @ probably a minimum of around $2K each)
2) Consent orders via the family court.. You can e-file a consent order. Filing fee is a few hundred dollars I believe.... By far the best option in your scenario.

See a solicitor for assistance if required, but have a look at the link below for info

How do I apply for Consent Orders? - Family Court of Australia

Palms

12 November 2019
Make sure you formalise it.... Having a court stamped final order draws a line so that neither can come back at a later date to seek more

You can formalise it in 2 ways...
1) A Binding Financial agreement (You will both need to see independent solicitors @ probably a minimum of around $2K each)
2) Consent orders via the family court.. You can e-file a consent order. Filing fee is a few hundred dollars I believe.... By far the best option in your scenario.

See a solicitor for assistance if required, but have a look at the link below for info

How do I apply for Consent Orders? - Family Court of Australia

thanks heaps yes currently doing a consent order at the moment.

Palms

12 November 2019
Sorry to bump this one. Finalising the court order now - I'm shocked how detailed it has to be even though we have only been joint tenants for a year. I guess it has to be formalised so he wont come back for more. Do I really need to say my super and his super ? as well as my personal savings? Also, seems unfair that I am paying the legal cost and the $5k fixed break rate. I have talked down the agreement to $6,000 although he wants $8,000 in this current COVID climiate he is even lucky to get $6,000 having not put any deposit and barely any equity in the house after only one year.

sammy01

27 September 2015
I know it hurts now. But short change to get him out of your life.

Palms

12 November 2019
Thats exactly what it is buy out money to get rid of him! Just really sad after 7 years its not civil. I guess the saying is true when they say if you want to know what someone is really like marry them and then divorce them.