VIC Ex owes me insurance money what can i do

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

help!!

16 June 2020
while in a relationship my ex partner and i got a car, it was under my name (he paid for the car $1500ish and i paid for the insurance) all of it under my name and details. We split up, i let him take the car as he was using it to sleep in. he crashed it and hit another car, writing ours off in the process. turns out he lied about the initial incident and how it happened (deliberate and wreck less driving). he coerced me into letting him use the insurance on it which i had cancelled, but the crash had unfortunately happened two days before the insurance terminated. however he is not paying the money, is being non-cooperative, and after months still has not paid any payments towards the excess which is upwards of thousands of dollars. i have contacted him multiple times as the insurance company has contacted me saying i haven’t paid, and i don’t know what to do. am i in a situation where i can take him to court for the money to pay the excess for destroying the car? i’m really lost and hurt.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Who is the insured?
You, or him?