Ex is threatening to withhold kids

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

nuffi

20 December 2023
Hey there,

We have an agreement that I collect the kids from outside her place on Saturday mornings. She was the one that suggested that, I did not want it to be at my place, so I agreed readily.

It's been a year without incident. She lives on a very major road, and there are 4 car spaces out the front of her place, at least is always filled by her car. Often they are all full.

I would pull up behind the car spaces and wait in the car for the kids to come out. Today she has said that is "illegal" and "unsafe" and that she will not allow the kids to come out unless I am legally parked.

I checked and it turns out that it is a no standing zone, and not just a no parking zone as I always assumed.

She has reiterated how dangerous it is out the front of her place, and I suggested that we make a neutral venue in the mid point between our houses (a car park at a community centre that we have both takenb the kids to).

She reponded that this would be in breach of the agreement, and I must be out the front of her place, safely parked before she will allow the children to come out.

Almost always, I cannot comply bceause the spaces are filled.

I made the suggestion, given that she asserts out the front of her place is dangerous, that we change the venue to the car park of a community center between our places. She responded with: "No, the orders clearly state the time and place for pick ups and drop offs. Your inability to comply with a simple request to park your vehicle legally and safely demonstrate a complete disregard for teh law and also for the safety of your children"

I pointed out that the legal spaces out the front of her house are often filled, leaving no choice but to do what I've done.

What happens next. Can she do this legally...? What is my recourse if she does? I have no money for lawyers, though it appears that she does.

Is it a duty of the police to enforce family orders? Can I call on them? Is suggesting a neutral venue an appropriate response? Is the suggestion of a community centre also appropriate? What other places are there?

TIA for any help.

nuffi