QLD Ex Forged My Parents' Signatures on Loan Before Bankruptcy

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Gc19

9 August 2015
My parents have been told that unless they have a lot of money to fight this in court they have to pay a debt of 20k. I am bankrupt and used them as guarantors on a loan prior to the bankruptcy. My ex partner forged their signatures as she was too lazy to drive to their house to get them to sign the loan agreement documents. The signatures were not witnessed nor checked against any ID.

Any thoughts?

Amanda E

9 April 2014
Hi Gc19,
Yes, its not a great situation because your parents would have to prove that your ex partner forged their signatures in the loan agreement documents. This would involve a criminal charge of forgery: see http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/qld/consol_act/cc189994/s488.html, as well as preparing a case and getting a favourable decision from a court.

Court can be quite costly. It might be worth getting legal advice from a criminal lawyer to understand your position and weigh up the costs and benefits - see Get Connected with the Right Lawyer for You.

You might also find this news article interesting where a family member was found guilty and imprisoned for forging mortgage documents: Forgery of documents leads to jail for sister | Ipswich Queensland Times.