QLD Evicted from Share House - What are My Rights?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Bree Curro

23 July 2014
I am 17 and was just given notice that I have to leave the sharehouse my sibling owns due to them having a dispute. I have literally just payed forward 2 weeks of rent and do not have any money nor a back up place to stay.

What are my rights here?
Is there a minimum notice required for them to kick me out?
Can I re-claim my rent?
Since I am under independent age is there any services that would help me out in this situation?

Sarah J

Well-Known Member
16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Bree,

The relevant governing legislation is the Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008 (Qld) ("RTA"). In particular, Division 5 (procedural requirements). If the lessor (ie. owner) is attempting to terminate your tenancy agreement, they must issue a "notice to leave" to the lessee (yourself). The notice to leave may be without grounds, but it must satisfy the requirements of RTA s 326, namely, it is to be in writing and signed by the lessor. The time frame is set out in RTA s 329. The lessor must allow a minimum of 2 months from the date of notice (RTA s 329(j), (k)). This applies for both a periodic and fixed-term agreement. Where it is a fixed-term agreement, you can be required to leave at the end of the fixed term, where this is shorter than the otherwise specified 2 months from notice.

You are obliged to continue paying rent during these two months.

You can contact the Residential Tenancies Authority in Queensland for further enquiries or to lodge a complaint. The Residential Tenancies Authority investigates breaches of the RTA. Investigations and assistance is free.