VIC Employment Law - Insurances Necessary for Work as Sub Contractor?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

EmmaArch

20 August 2015
I have recently been seeking work as a sub-contract archaeologist. One company I contacted says that I am required to have Public Liability Insurance, Professional Indemnity Insurance and Personal Accident and Injury Insurance before they give me any work. If they do, no regular amount of work is guaranteed. I may only get a week or two here and there when they need me. I have not long finished my degree and don't have the money to spend on insurances on a maybe chance of getting some work.

As a sub-contractor, are all these insurances necessary under Employment Law? I would not be professionally advising anyone or making any recommendations, this is done by the company who may employ me. I would really only be providing physical labor to the company and they do the rest. I thought I would be covered by this company's insurances as a sub-contractor if I do any work for them.

Please any thoughts on this might help me.

S

Sophea

Hi EmmaArch,

The reason that sub contractor's need their own public liability insurances etc, is because they are usually not employees and therefore not covered by their employer's policy. Employers are vicariously liable for their employees acts, however sub contractor's are effectively their own business and therefore need their own insurances.