QLD Employer Selling Business - Am I Entitled to Redundancy?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

John123456789

21 August 2015
Hey there, recently I was told by my employer that they were selling the business, no written notice or anything. I still don't have a letter of termination which I think is weird. Do I still work for them, haha? And when the buyer came to my place of work he had a chat with me and he wanted to hire me, so I currently work for them now for last 2 days.

I asked my previous employer about redundancy and they say they found me the job so I'm not entitled to it? I didn't think this sounded right. What do you think under Employment Law?

Thanks

S

Sophea

Hi John123456789,

When your employer sold the business he likely came to some agreement with the new owners that they would take you on as an employee.

You are not entitled to redundancy pay if you reject a job offered by the new employer if:
  • its terms and conditions are similar to those of the old job
  • it recognises the employee's service with the old employer for redundancy pay
  • there would have been a transfer of employment if the employee had taken the job.