NSW Eligible for Compensation for Personal Injury Caused by Unsafe Product?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ninaisk

21 November 2014
Bought a branded glass coffee table from a prominent department store in Sydney. When received the table was filthy. As I was cleaning it - I had to put it on its side as the table was low (close to the floor) - the base dislodged from the table top fell on my leg then on the floor breaking to pieces. As a result, I had 2 cuts on my leg, one of which needed stitching. The ambulance took me to hospital etc.

Because I'm a diabetic, I was prescribed antibiotics, yet when I went to my doctor a week later to take out the stitches, the wound wasn't healed and was still oozing blood. It also looked infected a bit.
I had to work from home for most of the week, and after my doctor check today, it looks like I may need to stay home for longer.

When I contacted the store, and after 4 days of internal store discussions, they told me they'll refund me the price of the table! I'm a person that is scared from needles; could someone please let me know whether I'm eligible for personal injury compensation?
Thanks!

Amanda E

9 April 2014

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
You need to speak to a lawyer who works in the field of personal injury.