NSW Personal Injury - Is There a Comparative Table of Disabilities?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Geoff

19 June 2016
I have just received notification to attend a WPI evaluation.

This matter is an ongoing personal injury claim for which I received compensation in 2002 from table of disabilities. Is there a table anywhere that allows me to compare the level of impairment in 2002 (which was determined by workers compensation commission) and about what range that might be on WPI?

Reason - it is possible that my WPI will be below 20% and since this level will cover my already minimal expenses for only 2 years I am considering avoiding the stress and carry on and just not attending the examination (let them know of course)

I just want to know where the comparative levels might be

Thanks

Reactions: Beth2013

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Geoff,

I have been through something similar with the Department of Veteran Affairs and while it is a drawn out and stressful situation its probably still worth attending. But to answer your question I don't know of a comparative table but the tables do mature over time.

Psychological issues are a great example where they are finally being recognised for how debilitating they can be, where as in 2002 they may not have been as widely accepted. I hope it works out regardless of what you choose.

Geoff

19 June 2016
Thanks Lance and I apologise for the delay in replying to you

I attended the examination and my WPI was quite low as I thought.

Surgeon was good and explained the process and his concerns with it. Also stated before we started anything that I would be very disappointed at how low my WPI would be.

He was also asked, by the insurer (which surprised him as well as me) to re assess me under the table of disabilities and that assessment was significantly higher than the one given by the approved medical assessor appointed by Workers Comp (now SIRA).

I understand the change with workers comp over the last few years means I have no further avenues to pursue and to do anything I will need to get legal advice again.

Anyway, just going through the process now and waiting for a formal response from the insurer about what happens next.

Reactions: Beth2013