QLD Slipped on Wet Floor at McDonald's - Claim Personal Injury Compensation?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jeff Witts

14 February 2016
Slipped on the wet floor at McDonalds Gympie.They did have a warning sign out which was behind me when I fell. Because I have a replacement right hip and left knee, I do take notice of signs and put my right hand on the wall to steady and guide myself past this area, but still, I slipped, breaking my left Fibula and ankle. This was witnessed by several people.

I was transported to Gympie District Hospital by ambulance and next day I went to a private orthopaedic surgeon and his treatment will be ongoing.

Can I claim ongoing medical and out of pocket expenses as personal injury compensation?

S

Sophea

Hi Jeff,

I recommend you speak with a personal injury lawyer about it directly. Many provide free consultations. Whether or not you will be able to claim compensation will depend on whether or not the court considers that McDonalds exposed you to a foreseeable risk of injury and failed to take steps to reduce or warn of that risk. The fact that there was a sign up indicates that they did fulfil this responsibility but is not conclusive.

Yevgeni

1 June 2016
Sydney
Slipped on the wet floor at McDonalds Gympie.They did have a warning sign out which was behind me when I fell. Because I have a replacement right hip and left knee, I do take notice of signs and put my right hand on the wall to steady and guide myself past this area, but still, I slipped, breaking my left Fibula and ankle. This was witnessed by several people.

I was transported to Gympie District Hospital by ambulance and next day I went to a private orthopaedic surgeon and his treatment will be ongoing.

Can I claim ongoing medical and out of pocket expenses as personal injury compensation?

Hi Serge,

It should definitely be investigated further as the injuries are quite serious. It will partly depend if the sign was clearly visible to you or not. I have done a lot of similar cases and in my experience, they usually come to the party and try and settle these matters our of court, however, it depends on the circumstances of your accident.

Cheers,