VIC duplex on property

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

greg wilian

21 June 2020
i want to demolish my house and give the block to our daughter for a duplex so she can live in one side and us in the other we are pensioners so have very little money,hence can our daughter pay for the new property and get two titles one for her and one for our own

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Yes. It is not straight forward however it can be done with the correct paperwork.

Would you be living with your daughter while the property is demolished and rebuilt?

Is your daughter married/in relationship? If yes, have you thought about what happens if she splits from her partner?

This is all something we can help you with.

Before doing anything, you ought to check with a financial planner about the Centrelink consequences (if any). The last thing you want is for your pensions to be affected. Having said that, I do believe it is doable, but you ought to get lots of advice first.

Terry Yun

7 July 2020
i want to demolish my house and give the block to our daughter for a duplex so she can live in one side and us in the other we are pensioners so have very little money,hence can our daughter pay for the new property and get two titles one for her and one for our own
HI
It is a good idea for you to divide your land to build a duplex and have one your daughter to live.
You should apply first to the council for your proposed plan of subdivision.
Hope you have a good day.