QLD Does an employer owe a duty of care that their employee is mentally healthy?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

kingofmeereen

6 March 2020
underneath the stars 🌌
Like for example, a paramedic or a police are expected to witness very brutal scenes. Do their employers owe them a duty of care in ensuring they are still mentally healthy and if not and they do suffer some form of psychiatric injury, will they be entitled to sue their employer for compensation?

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Like for example, a paramedic or a police are expected to witness very brutal scenes. Do their employers owe them a duty of care in ensuring they are still mentally healthy and if not and they do suffer some form of psychiatric injury, will they be entitled to sue their employer for compensation?
This looks like it's a homework question, if so, there is a section for law students forum, which you can ask there.
If not, I am in health field, but what I think is the each accident will have the most appropriate experienced staff attending the accident, therefore, will minimise the mental health aspect of it, and I am sure they will have some guidelines. I am sure someone from the health field will explain more, if I am going the wrong track.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
You're already on the wrong track.
In terms of law (which is why OP is here) these are questions of (mostly) WHS and Workers Compensation.

Let's wait and see if OP asks what they really want to know.