QLD Do I Have a Binding Contract with Car Seller?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
21 September 2016
Hi,

I have been corresponding with the seller of a vehicle via emails and texts and we negotiated a deal for the car. I paid a 10% deposit to lock in the deal and for the car to be no longer advertised on carsales.com.au and Gumtree. I also organised for an inspection to be done by Redbook through carsales.com which has cost me $250.

I was to pick up the car today and pay the balance owing. He sent me a text this morning advising that his wife no longer wishes to sell the car.

My question is, do I have a binding contract with the seller under Australian Consumer Law, as I would still like to finish the deal? And if not, can I be reimbursed my $250.00?

Thank you

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Which do you want most - the car, or the refund of the deposit?

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Going only by what you have said here, missing facts missing,
and with unstated ifs, buts, and maybes, not allowed for,
I think it will be possible to infer from conduct by both parties that a contract exists.

In such cases, it can be possible to get people to perform the contract.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Start with a letter demanding performance of the contract.
if this plays out to the end, then you could be looking at a small claims matter

21 September 2016
Hi Tim,

Thank you for your response. There was no question of me not receiving my deposit back. What I wanted was for the sale to still go through, in the hope that a contract was in place, due to my correspondence with the vendor and the 10% deposit made to secure the deal.

As I believe, not based on any proof, that the vendor only wished to pull out of the sale, because he had a better offer. Failing that I would be unable to enforce the sale, I was wanting not only my deposit back, but the $250.00 I paid for a thorough inspection on the vehicle, which would never have been done on a car that wasn't for sale.

Thank you again