QLD Disobeying "One-Way" Sign - Dispute Traffic Infringement Notice?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Allyoz

8 August 2018
We, unfortunately, got caught up in the detour and heavy traffic during the early stages of an event at the Gabba while on our way home from my son's swim meet in Chandler.

There were a lot of traffic control staff, cones, detour signs and police controlling the area. I stopped at an intersection and indicated to turn left. A police officer was directly next to me on the corner. Immediately after turning I realized it was into a "one way" street so stopped. I didn't drive into the one way but stopped just at the pedestrian section. Frightened I looked over at the police officer for advice on what to do, expecting him to direct me on what to do as both reversing and going forward would have been incredibly dangerous for me and pedestrians.

Instead, the officer opened my passenger door and shouted "What are you doing? Didn't you see the one way sign?"

I replied "No, sorry, I didn't"

He again shouted "Go! You will get a ticket in the mail!"

I was horribly shaken as he didn't help me at all. I didn't reverse or go forward but turned my car in front of the waiting traffic on the street that I nearly turned into (so I was at a 90% angle to them) and proceeded up the road I had been on originally.

I got the infringement today which states:

Disobeying "One Way" sign

with 3 demerit points and $182 fine.

According to the Queensland.gov site the demerits points all I can see about one way is
"Driving in contrary direction to a one way sign" Queensland Road Rules - Section 98(1)

I disagree that is what I did. On the contrary, I didn't drive as I immediately realized my mistake and stopped.

Do you feel I can dispute the traffic infringement notice?

Also, I'd like to make a formal complaint about the officer's treatment and handling of the situation. He jeopardized mine and the kids' safety by opening the door, holding me in front of the one-way traffic, then not directing me or other traffic to safely move on.

Thanks.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Take it to court and dispute the charge.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Hi,

My opinion is not to fight it. What I mean is don't go against the police, or complaining about the officer's actions. Take in mind the environment the officer works in, the officer deals with many people who do not respect the police (police are humans too, they have feelings) so that will affect them and as you mentioned it was a hectic area, so the officer was under pressure.

I agree with you that the officer should have handled it better, but that is my point of view and I don't hold that against the police. Respect them (unless they break the law, then you need your rights), it does not cost you anything.

You best chance is to ask for review of it, and describe as what you wrote above and include a statement to the effect that you will be careful in future to try and not do it again. If you have a good driving record, most properly it will waived and everything will be fine.

I am stating this from my own experience, have a read of my case:
NSW - Riding a Scooter in Car Park Without a Helmet?

My infringement was removed as no infringement at all, also I had a friend who drove on a T-way by mistake and got a fine and asked for review and also was removed.

Fighting the system in cases like this, will not help at all. It will be costly and you may not win.

Good luck

Allyoz

8 August 2018
Thank you Adam,

I agree with your points about complaining about the officer. The biggest factor for me was he put me and the kids in danger and I'm really disappointed that a police officer treated us so badly, especially right in front of two impressionable, young boys.

I made a mistake and if a person in power feels they can treat someone like that over a mistake, what would they do if someone really committed an offence? We pay a lot of attention on emphasising to our kids to respect and trust officials, such as the police, and felt this was such a contradiction to our teachings. Will they approach an officer trusting them now?

Not sure, unfortunately.

Thanks for the tip on asking for a review. Sorry to sound simple, but, how do I do that? :) Write directly to the Police precinct on the Infringement?

Cheers

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Hi,

Happy to be of help.

in the infringement at the back it should state what options you have and will have the contract details of whom to contact (this is in NSW), maybe you can do it online.

As for your kids, I understand what you mean, but you do lose your temper on them from time to time, and it can be explained to them as I did to you, use it, they are human and they do lose their temper from time to time under pressure.

Good luck