NT Traffic Infringement Notice for Not Using the Pedestrian Crossing?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Gary Huddleston

28 January 2016
I received an traffic infringement notice for crossing the road. When the officer asked me why I had not used a pedestrian crossing, I informed him I was the pedestrian crossing.

I have elected to go to court.

Anybody ever heard of this, except Sydney where the police do a blitz once in a while of people crossing on red lights?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
They do the same in Melbourne every once in a while.

While I like your sense of humour, police are known for not having any. Good luck.

S

Sophea

You likely received an infringement notice for ignoring a red pedestrian light, attempting to cross when traffic lights were green, crossing a road diagonally or failing to use a zebra crossing that is within 20 metres of your location. These are standard Australian road regs, contravention of which will attract a fine.

On what basis do you intend to dispute the infringement?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
On the basis he is the pedestrian crossing :)

Somehow doubt he'll win this argument in court though he might get lucky and give the magistrate a laugh in an otherwise dull day and get found guilty, no conviction and fine wiped.

Gary Huddleston

28 January 2016
I was on a roundabout.

Crossing the Road, is defined as a Pedestrian Crossing. A roundabout is not a "Road Area".

Where I come from motorists must be courteous to pedestrians at all times.

The Road was clear, I continued with crossing the road, to no traffic, except for a police car

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
What is the actual infringement you received and when is your court date?