Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

NT Traffic Infringement Notice for Not Using the Pedestrian Crossing?

Discussion in 'Traffic Law Forum' started by Gary Huddleston, 18 February 2016.

1. Gary Huddleston

Gary Huddleston Active Member

I received an traffic infringement notice for crossing the road. When the officer asked me why I had not used a pedestrian crossing, I informed him I was the pedestrian crossing.

I have elected to go to court.

Anybody ever heard of this, except Sydney where the police do a blitz once in a while of people crossing on red lights?

2. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

They do the same in Melbourne every once in a while.

While I like your sense of humour, police are known for not having any. Good luck.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

You likely received an infringement notice for ignoring a red pedestrian light, attempting to cross when traffic lights were green, crossing a road diagonally or failing to use a zebra crossing that is within 20 metres of your location. These are standard Australian road regs, contravention of which will attract a fine.

On what basis do you intend to dispute the infringement?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

On the basis he is the pedestrian crossing :)

Somehow doubt he'll win this argument in court though he might get lucky and give the magistrate a laugh in an otherwise dull day and get found guilty, no conviction and fine wiped.

5. Gary Huddleston

Gary Huddleston Active Member

I was on a roundabout.

Crossing the Road, is defined as a Pedestrian Crossing. A roundabout is not a "Road Area".

Where I come from motorists must be courteous to pedestrians at all times.

The Road was clear, I continued with crossing the road, to no traffic, except for a police car

6. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

What is the actual infringement you received and when is your court date?