VIC Discrimination Law on Banning Member from Sporting Club?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
The person is now threatening legal action as they claim we have breached their human rights
Riiiight. Not much to worry about there.
... and has also threatened legal action against me...
Do not reply. Do not engage with this person yourself by any means.
If you cannot resist the urge to say "something" in response to his threat, then confine it to
"Go your hardest, and make sure you spell my name correctly."
... as I am a new member of Vic Pol (been in the service for two and a half months) and that is how I knew of the conviction.
Perhaps, being so new In The Job, you have not yet had the lecture
about correct use of information to which you have access in the course of work.
See if the Academy Library has a copy of this.
Yes, it's ancient, but the principles remain relevant and timely.
I say this because early and mid-career police still get into trouble over it.

MartyK

4 June 2016
@MartyK -
Remember the OP wants a club member banned, not a worker, not an office bearer and not a volunteer. Under the Working with Children Act 2005 (Vic) there is no requirement for an ordinary club member to pass a WWCC.

Well actually Rod, the OP refers to herself as a club member and to the other member as a participant but does not define the participation level. In any event, I was simply responding to your comment in relation to teachers (child related field) with information about requirements of same in sporting. Information you obviously already knew

Your making me go back and reread the thread (a good thing) however, has now left me a little confused. The OP suggests that she found out about the conviction through her new employment and asks about the consequences if she was to report him. However, this seems retrospective, given, for whatever reason, in the initial post it tends to suggest that he has already provided the club with details i.e. Medical reports

I understand there can be a mandatory requirement for those on the register to report to police the details of association/involvement with sporting clubs, where children are members, but even if this extended itself to the sporting club itself (?), general members would likely not usually have access. Could disclosure of documents to third parties, i.e. medical reports, be a basis for discrimination?

Again, I have limited knowledge about discrimination laws.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
I think you'll find that in the present context,
the terms "club member" and "participant"
are effectively synonymous.