WA Disclosing a Sex Offender's Identity?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Seant

15 February 2015
I know of a convicted child sex offender living in my community & want to know how far I can go informing others to keep their children safe & away from him.

S

Sophea

I don't know of any laws that would prevent you from providing true information to your neighbours about a sex offender, however if the information is false he may have a claim in defamation against you.

In fact, the WA government has a Community Protection Website which enables parents and guardians to make enquiries with police about any persons who have unsupervised contact with their children and obtain information including images and personal details of any serious repeat offenders in their suburb.

Reactions: Seant and Tracy B

Tracy B

24 December 2014
Australia
Hi Seant,

I agree with Sophea. Make sure the person has been convicted of a s*xual offence and that anything you disclose about this person is true and not misleading.

Western Australia has a state s*x offender's registry that is available to the public. As Sophea pointed out above, you can make a request to Community Protection Western Australia for information on certain individuals. There are also websites (MAKO) available that publicly name s*x offenders in states of Australia and provide information about them and their whereabouts.

Like Sophea, I am not aware of any law that prevents the disclosure of any s*x offenders in your community.

Reactions: Seant