NSW Difference Between Act, Regulation and EPIs?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Toqual

10 July 2014
What is the difference between an Act, Regulation, EPI's and the 'Repealed' version of all. I refer tohttp://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/ a lot which raised my question.

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Here's my quick and dirty definitions:
  • Acts are laws passed by Parliament.
  • Regulations (and rules, by-laws, etc.) are statutory instruments created by Acts.
  • Environmental Planning Instruments (EPIs) are legal documents that regulate land use and development.
  • The "Repealed" version means that it is not the "Current" version. That is, it is an outdated version of an Act, Regulation, etc.

The Parliament of NSW website has a good resource on "Making the law" (PDF).

Paul Cott

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
26 May 2014
Ballarat, Victoria
Hi Toqual,

An Act is the actual primary piece of legislation that operates in the area. It is the most common and often the most relevant one to look at.

A Regulation is sort if the 'procedural' set of rules, less commonly referred to.

Not sure what EPIs are, I have never heard the term.

Repealed just refers to the fact that the Act or Regulation is obsolete, no longer operating.

Hope that helps.

Paul.

Reactions: John R

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Oops sorry I didn't see John's helpful and accurate response.

No need to apologise - but our definitions are less colourful than what I discovered on Urban Dictionary for "Legislation":
The law making party that works for lobbyists. Often times, citizens need to fight this party in an attempt to keep some of our most basic freedoms.
Music industry paid legislation to have the internet censored, because Lil Wayne can only afford 3 Maybachs.

Reactions: Paul Cott

Toqual

10 July 2014
Reactions: Paul Cott