LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

NSW Difference Between Act, Regulation and EPIs?

Discussion in 'Other/General Law Forum' started by Toqual, 13 July 2014.

1. Toqual

Toqual Well-Known Member

What is the difference between an Act, Regulation, EPI's and the 'Repealed' version of all. I refer tohttp://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/ a lot which raised my question.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. John R

John R Well-Known Member

Here's my quick and dirty definitions:
    • Acts are laws passed by Parliament.
    • Regulations (and rules, by-laws, etc.) are statutory instruments created by Acts.
    • Environmental Planning Instruments (EPIs) are legal documents that regulate land use and development.
    • The "Repealed" version means that it is not the "Current" version. That is, it is an outdated version of an Act, Regulation, etc.

The Parliament of NSW website has a good resource on "Making the law" (PDF).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Sarah J, DennisD and Paul Cott like this.
  3. Paul Cott

Paul Cott Well-Known Member

Hi Toqual,

An Act is the actual primary piece of legislation that operates in the area. It is the most common and often the most relevant one to look at.

A Regulation is sort if the 'procedural' set of rules, less commonly referred to.

Not sure what EPIs are, I have never heard the term.

Repealed just refers to the fact that the Act or Regulation is obsolete, no longer operating.

Hope that helps.

Paul.

John R likes this.
  4. Paul Cott

Paul Cott Well-Known Member

Oops sorry I didn't see John's helpful and accurate response.

Paul.

5. John R

John R Well-Known Member

No need to apologise - but our definitions are less colourful than what I discovered on Urban Dictionary for "Legislation":

Paul Cott likes this.
  6. Toqual

Toqual Well-Known Member

Paul Cott likes this.