TAS Dentures Missing after Paying Off Debt Collectors

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Brett Templar

5 August 2014
I have been paying off a set of dentures. Due to a range of reasons, the debt for the dentures went into a collection agency (debt collectors) but I have been paying them off and went to collect the dentures as I was advised (in writing) that I could and was told they are not there and no one has ever seen them. I have paid $850, how can I get my money back?

AnnaLJ

16 July 2014
Hi Brett

Do you have a receipt or other documentation that you either signed or were provided when you ordered the dentures?

Just to clarify, all of the $850 you have paid thus far has been paid direct to the collection agency, is that correct?

Brett Templar

5 August 2014
Hi Brett

Do you have a receipt or other documentation that you either signed or were provided when you ordered the dentures?

Just to clarify, all of the $850 you have paid thus far has been paid direct to the collection agency, is that correct?

I do have the receipts and yes to the collection agency. I have documentation stating that the dentures were there to be picked up once paid for.

AnnaLJ

16 July 2014
Hi Brett

It sounds like a pretty strange situation to me. If you still have not had any luck with getting the denture maker to provide the goods, then I'd be putting something down in writing. Make a copy of the receipt, letter from the collection agency confirming they were ready to pick up and any other relevant documentation. Then just put into writing a simple letter of demand, explaining you have paid for a product that you have not yet received and requesting that they be ready for collection within, say, 10 days or, alternatively, you are entitled to a refund. Add that if they do not respond or comply you will be pursuing your legal rights.

If you don't get any response or action from them on this, I would be taking it straight to consumer affairs in your State and having them handle this for you as it's completely unacceptable and against the law to have taken your money and never provided you a product.

Keep us posted with how you go

Anna