Deleted Facebook Page as Page Admin - My Rights?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sifimadjen

3 March 2015
Good morning,

Until recently, I shared duties as an administrator on a Facebook page with two other people. We had started an entertainment/film industry website; I was senior editorial manager, providing all original copy. The other parties were a) a social media manager, and b) a 'self-titled' CEO.

After 12 months of our shared vision, the CEO declared in December of 2014 that he was out of cash, all the direction agreed upon now void and our roles no longer needed, and that the website would shut down for 6-8 weeks to give him 'time to think'.

As a co-admin on the Facebook page, I deleted the Facebook page and all the content. Was it within my rights to do that? In an email this morning he claims this type of 'sabotage' is 'very serious', which I perceive as threatening. I understand that IP law dictates he has claim to the content I provided for the website, but does he have claim over the co-administered content on the Facebook page?

After the 30 day deletion period, I re-registered the name as sole administrator. I have not live-published the page as yet.

Regards.

Ivy

10 February 2015
Hi there,

In this situation it may be best to speak with a solicitor. Things to take note of: what contract did/ do you have with the other two parties? You said that the CEO was self-titled but this person then was able to make a final decision on the direction of the company ie by closing the website for a time and telling co-founders that their role was no longer needed. Secondly, what business structure were you operating under? For example, was it a partnership or incorporated? Were you employees of the CEO? These things all have a bearing on your rights and how to proceed.