Alledged Car Park Incident

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

MareeC

19 January 2020
My father is in his 70’s but still has all his wits about him, recently he returned home from the shopping Centre upset as he thought someone had hit his car he had two large scratches on the front of his car, his car is modern and has multiple sensors on it for parking. A couple of days later the police knock on his door saying a witness had left a note in a persons car to say they had seen him hit the car while parking. My father said he did not hit any car, he said he went to go into a park, got halfway in and thought it looked tight and he didn’t want anyone to open their doors into his car so he reversed back out and moved his car to another spot. As he told the police his sensor would have alarmed had he hit it. The police told him to ‘Do the Right Thing’ He has insurance but is adamant that he didn’t do it and that the scratches on his car are from where someone else had hit his car in the carpark where he had reverse parked it the same day. My Dad was upset by the intimidation he felt from the police visit so when they returned to see why he hadn’t contacted the person who alleged (via a witness) that Dad did it I told them they could not talk to him and that we would be seeking legal advise. To which the police office became agitated and said he would be back to interview dad and possibly serve him a summons. They returned today not one but two of them in a paddy wagon to interview Dad. He answered the door before I got to them and by the time I got there he was talking, I politely interjected and asked if the police were taking a statement why weren’t they writing anything down and he said because it’s all on body cam to which I replied ‘did you tell my father it was on body cam’ he responded that he didn’t have to tell him because he had cautioned him before I got there. He asked him a series of questions similar in nature designed to confuse him and trap him into answers of guilt. Can anyone tell me where we stand in this the accident was in the local shopping center carpark which has the park at your own risk signs?

Ponala

10 February 2015
Police are following up an incident that was reported to them, the same they would follow up incidents that are reported to them. They have a witness who says they saw the car driven by your father hit another car and then drive off. As such they are following up those allegations. Park at your own risk signs apply as such to making a claim against the car park owner if damage occurs to your car. If someone hits your car they are still liable. I assume the police have probably interviewed your father in regards to a hit/run accident based on the witness. As to whether he gets charged with relevant offences is another matter, as is the matter of the damages to the other car.

Reactions: MareeC