NSW Criminal Law - Possible to Remove Charge from Criminal Record?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

S_P

5 January 2016
Can I, somehow, in any way at all, apply to have a conviction of resisting / hindering the police removed from my criminal record from 11 years ago? This charge, while I am fully accountable for it, was a long time ago in a difficult period in my life and is now stopping me from getting a position I have worked hard to obtain. Is there any way under Criminal Law to get a pardon for 1 offense?

I have a couple of misdemeanours that go with this like - crossing the road while the light green and offensive language but the resisting / hindering of police charge has totally put a stop to my future ambitions under the Australian Border Force Act...

Please help.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
What penalty was imposed?

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
And have you been otherwise offence-free during the time since?
(the answer to that is only either "yes" or "no")

S_P

5 January 2016
No, I'd be right in assuming that spent convictions will not apply until 10 years after the last offence? I was just hoping upon hope that maybe there could be a way to apply for a pardon against the one offence. I am quite content having everything else there as that's the way it goes. Thanks for your info Tim. Much appreciated your time. if there is any other info I'm open but it's just a case of deal with it I think :)

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
A pardon (mentioned in your first post) is probably not in play.
I was hoping that Spent Convictions might be an option,
but it seems not - at least for the moment.

In any event, a record of either or both of violence or dishonesty,
and/or a personal history, of, say, using illicit substances,
tend to be "negatives" when applying for jobs in government.