VIC Crimes Act - Where Can I Find the Evidence?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

cuttyshatface

24 May 2017
Queensland
Where can I find the evidence that the the Crimes Act 1958, or any other Act must be adhered to?

I know everyone says "everybody must follow the law" - if this is the case, should there not be some evidence of this fact?

DMQC

29 June 2016
The Constitution, specifically, I think section 118. Recognition of laws etc. of States - Full faith and credit shall be given, throughout the Commonwealth to the laws, the public Acts and records, and the judicial proceedings of every State. and/or 107. Saving of power of State Parliaments - Every power of the Parliament of a Colony which has become or becomes a State, shall, unless it is by this Constitution exclusively vested in the Parliament of the Commonwealth or withdrawn from the Parliament of the State, continue as at the establishment of the Commonwealth, or as at the admission or establishment of the State, as the case may be.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
And ss 51, s52 Cth constitution for Cth laws.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Further, most acts will state who and what they apply to in the opening sections.

cuttyshatface

24 May 2017
Queensland
or Criminal Code 18In the opening section I have noticed that it states who it applies to. However, it does not state this in the Crimes Act or Criminal Code Act 1899?/

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Some legislation is not so straight forward. However, for example, part 1 of the Crimes Act states where it applies and then the relevant applications are set out throughout the Act's provisions.

Reactions: DMQC