Credit Payment Denied but Charged by Website - What are my Rights?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Bob

16 April 2014
I recently used a website to purchase flights. When I tried to pay using my credit card, I got an error message on the screen that said that the transaction couldn't be processed, and my card wasn't accepted. So I then completed the purchase using another payment method. However, when I went back to look through my bank statements, I found that my credit card HAS been charged. Who do I go to first about this, the travel agent or my bank? What rights to I have under Australian Consumer Law?

S

Sophea

Hi Bob,

You can contact either the merchant directly or your bank, who will lodge a dispute for you with the merchant's bank for a refund of the funds. You will need to provide some evidence and information relating to the transaction to verify the facts as you claim.

Technically I think you could argue that the transaction that was put through on your credit card occurred without your consent and was therefore an unauthorised transaction. Once you received the error message stating that your card wasn't accepted, your consent for the transaction to be put through was withdrawn, and in reliance on that you paid via another method.

See how you go contacting the merchant, but if they give you the runaround contact your bank.

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi Bob,
I agree with Sophea, you should contact the merchant (the website) at first instance and then contact your bank to dispute/chargeback the transaction.

Please find links to disputing transactions for the Big 4 Australian banks:
Hope this helps. Please keep us updated.