NSW Costs Notice

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

h-ivee

18 August 2023
What exactly does a cost notice mean?

Does this mean the person is not funded by legal aid and is getting compensation for the costs thus far? I dont understand it.

Thanks!

sammy01

27 September 2015
More detail needed.
It could mean a judge has decided one party needs to pay some of the other parties legal fees. Rare in family law, only happens if one party has behaved unreasonably.

h-ivee

18 August 2023
Hey Sammy, what kind of detail do you need?

Its in a family law matter - both parties have behaved reasonably, have come to an interim agreement and the applicant of said family law proceedings, was asked to file a costs notice within 3 days of most recent court date.

I don’t understand what it means - is it also fairly new or something?

sammy01

27 September 2015
Again without reading all the stuff - I think is is just stating that ifyou wish to make an orde for costs you need to do it with 3 days. If the other party has been reasonable then don't bother.

h-ivee

18 August 2023
More detail needed.
It could mean a judge has decided one party needs to pay some of the other parties legal fees. Rare in family law, only happens if one party has behaved unreasonably.
Again without reading all the stuff - I think is is just stating that ifyou wish to make an orde for costs you need to do it with 3 days. If the other party has been reasonable then don't bother.
I know the other party is funded by legal aid, I was under the impression that we both were, but apparently not - if a costs notice was filed. My solicitor did say that its nothing to worry about though, so confused as to why one was filed.

lostinspace

25 November 2023
It is meant to show each side how much the other has spent on legals.

Perhaps to wake people up ?

I think it is a good idea, however it seems some lawyers think this is optional, I am not sure if there is any penalty for non compliance.