QLD Contractor Invoice T&C's - Protection if there's a Dispute?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

not-the1

20 April 2015
Background
I’m a contractor providing new sales for a trade business to the construction industry. Ie: Sales commission invoices issued on a new sale for their business.

I am not BSA registered or any other bodies, just a Pty Ltd company providing a service to a BSA (QBCC) registered trade.

My questions
  1. Is there any wording that should be used in the T&C’s on my invoices to help protect me should there ever be a dispute?
  2. One that would help in court or mediation and also to recover any costs?
  3. I know building trades use the term ‘This payment is made under the Building and Construction Industry Payments Act 2004‘, as a protection, can I use this or something like it that has a legal standing?
Many thanks.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Are you an employee, or a sham contractor for somebody else?

not-the1

20 April 2015
Hi Tim,

I contract my services to 2 Companies (1. is as mentioned above, and 2. is a master builder) on an ongoing basis, and also have 3. some other smaller incomes for minor works from other businesses from time to time.

The split would be something like this
1. 50%
2. 40%
3. 10%
However I see the split moving more towards the 1. in the next FY.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
For advice concerning specific language in your own business documents,
you'll need the advice of a Queensland lawyer who is versed in the law of the building trade there.

Reactions: DennisD

DennisD

11 July 2014
I agree with Tim W's suggestion here