QLD Altering a contract of sales

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Zedo

6 December 2017
hello everyone. Hoping someone could assist my little problem I’m having.
I’m the recent past, I got shafted by a company I paid to build a structure on my property. And in the process learnt the contract is there to protect the business, not the buyer. However both parties had to sign the contract, and learnt that I could have slipped something into the contract prior to the contractor signing it.

Basically I’m about to have more work done and in the t&c of the sales invoice, I cannot find anything to cover me if anything is damaged during their installation.
The thing is this contract only has a place for myself to sign, and not the contractor.

Am I able to alter the t&c, sign it, send it back and let them process it? Is this legal? Would it hold up in court if worst case scenario happens and my property is damaged?

Thankyou

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
You need to inform them that you have amended the terms, and this effectively becomes a counter-offer. It is then up to them to accept it or not.

As for damage while building work is being done, they should have a policy of insurance to cover them.