QLD Contesting Speed Fine - Borderline 10% Speedo Variance

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

laser87

6 June 2017
Hi All,

I received a speeding ticket in the mail for going 123km/h in a 110km/h zone after blindly passing a hidden trailer camera.

I drive a car from the 80's, which, from factory, has a speedo variance of +/- 10% the actual speed.

I can't recall sitting that high above the limit, and by taking into account this possible variance my speedo could have been reading 110.7km/h whilst actually travelling at 123km/h.

I don't believe my speedo has such a large inaccuracy(and isn't worth it getting confirmed by a mechanic), however is it worth electing a court appearance in the hopes that they will drop the case due to the facts presented above? Or should I get my mechanic to write a letter stating the possibility of my speedo being out.

Thanks!

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi,
The facts above are stating that you have an 80s which might be out of calibration allowing you to drive 123km/h in 110 zone. Its really not their problem that your car is or isn't out of calibration. The speed camera will be calibrated to within 5% and if requested copies of calibration certificates can be provided. I don't think this is something that can be won on the facts above.

laser87

6 June 2017
Hi Lance, thanks for the reply.

Due to the age and type of speedometer my vehicle has(steel cable) I believe it is unadjustable, and from factory(ie. brand new) it could have had this +/- 10% error. As stated in the old Aus Design Rule 18:

"Australian Design Rule 18 sets out the accuracy standards for vehicle speedos.

Until July 2006 this rule specified an accuracy of +/- 10 percent of the vehicle’s true speed when the vehicle was travelling above 40km/h.

That is, at a true vehicle speed of 100km/h the speedo could indicate between 90km/h and 110km/h."

I will speak to my mechanic this morning and ask if he's able to write something to support my argument(as suggested by the camera office). However a court summons must be submitted prior to submitting the statement and letter.