NSW Contest RTA Decision to Suspend Drivers Licence on Good Behaviour?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jezza90

27 May 2014
Approximately 1 year ago, I had my drivers licence taken away by the courts for street racing.One month before this happened, I was also pulled over and charged and fined for using a mobile phone while driving. I was on elected good behaviour at the time. Now, it has been one year since my court hearing, and I thought I would be able to get my drivers licence back. However, the RTA has turned around and told me because I was on good behaviour at the time of mobile phone incident, they are suspending my licence again for another 6 months, which means 18 months all up.

Is there any way to take this to court and have this contested? I need my licence. I live in a remote area with my parents trying to help them fix the house and take care of the land for them, and it is approx. 40 minutes away from my current work location, with no public transport or anything!
I have been relying on my family to help get me to work and back home to look after the house and my parents, but it has been extremely difficult circumstances for me! And I cant keep asking my 68 year old father to pick me up from work at 7am in the morning its too hard for him, and I can't move closer to town because it would be mean mum and dad will not have enough care.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thankyou in advance.

Owens Lawyers

13 June 2014
Given the facts you've supplied, there is no right of appeal against a suspension of a licence for exceeding the demerits available under a good behaviour licence. The RMS suspension was effectively postponed because of the court disqualification.

The reason for this, you can only appeal against a decision. But there was no decision to suspend you for six months; it was an operation of law (ie, automatic).