COMMON INTENTION CONSTRUCTIVE TRUST IN BANCRUPTCY

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
It depends on your question. We won't know until you ask it.

BODI

22 May 2020
I and my partner living together nearly 13 years now. He bought the land we are currently living in. we have 3 kids. He was doing business in the same property. it is quite a big land. I moved here as he was telling me that I also have an interest inland. I contributed financially and non-finacilay to the development of the land and the business. I even signed as a guarantor for the mortgage he took to develop business. He got bankrupt and now we have a trustee in bankruptcy. We don't want to leave the land because I believe that I can claim equitable interest on the property. What we can do? Will my guarantee thing affect my claim? Is any case law similar to my situation? What interest I can claim?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
What you need to do is engage a lawyer - this isn't something you can do yourself, and is beyond the scope of the answers you'll get here. Proving an equitable estate against a bankruptcy trustee is very technical and you'll need an extensive review of all the facts to make a case claiming an interest. Remember: this can be seen as a move designed to defeat creditors, so it will be looked at with suspicion.

For example of similar circumstances from the other side of things, see here: Bankruptcy Trustees And Equitable Interests - Insolvency/Bankruptcy/Re-structuring - Australia