QLD Clarification of orders

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Bananatree

26 April 2019
Hello,
In the current climate with school a not returning we have an issue with changeover I am seeking clarification on.
The orders state changeover is to occur at 9am or before school (father to mother) or 3pm or after school (mother to father), initially written to allow for pupil free days etc not online learning. Changeover point is half hour from each household so over an hour for the child to travel. With school now going to online learning morning briefing is at 840am and the teacher is only online during the 840-3pm period. Therefore the child would miss schooling due to changeover at 9am or 3pm. A suggestion has been put forward by me that changeovers should just be moved to always being at 4pm but this has been refused and 'orders will not be modified' received. Solicitor has suggested mediation but this is a long process which will not get this resolved in time for school return. In our household we also have other children who would have to miss schooling for these changeovers which I do not think is beneficial to anyone's education especially with it already being disrupted. Are there any options available to sort this without mediation taking well into next term and therefore being mute or children missing their education?
Thankyou

sammy01

27 September 2015
More details? is this a once a fortnight thing? As in dad has the kids from 3pm Friday until 9am Monday once a fortnight?

Surely, you could do drop off at 9am - the kid is back with mum by 9.30 and teacher should just accept that if it is only once a or twice a fortnight?

Bananatree

26 April 2019
Hello, thanks for your reply. It is a once a week changeover (swaps once per week) so child would miss one morning and one afternoon per fortnight if that makes sense.
My concern is that the child would not only miss the schooling but would have to walk in the door and commence when there is already stress involved with changeovers for which counsellors are involved (long story). Child is also already behind and on extra work.
I know the courts won't take it into account but it also means the other children in the household missing their schooling.
Maybe I am overthinking this and should just accept it?

Bananatree

26 April 2019
Whilst we are here school items (booklets items have been returned and school has also issued more resources including tablet for online learning) are also being refused. Mum purchased this year (alternative years agreed on) and is therefore saying they're hers and won't provide at changeover . Meaning child doesn't have his school items half the time ie textbooks and exercise books (we bought another tablet and have his logins) so cannot build on previous work etc. Guessing this is another case of buy another set and request more from the school and use two sets of items?

sammy01

27 September 2015
yup you're over thinking it.
My experience has been that when ever there is a small problem regarding the orders, things like kids being invited for sleep overs, my ex's priority has always been to maximise the pain and suffering. Teachers arn't gonna care if you're talking about once a week...

contact the school. I'm a teacher. Most of the stuff is on google classroom. So you can access it on any device anywhere. The school will help more than the ex will...

Last edited:

Bananatree

26 April 2019
Awesome will do. Thankyou for the advice. Will do it through the school rather than the ex and just play nice