Cinema has Taken Away Staff Benefits - Legal or Not?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lexie

30 April 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
I work at a cinema in South Australia and want to know my rights. Our cinema has ceased staff benefits (discounted tickets) due to incorrect stock procedures performed by staff. This is not my issue. The issue is that we have also been told we may not purchase full priced tickets or cinema club priced tickets at any of our locations. By purchasing a full priced ticket would imply that we are a community customer and not purchasing tickets as a staff member. Could you please tell me if this reprimand is legal or whether it is illegal.

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi Lexie,
My interpretation of recent news was that cinemas were doing it tough with competition from the Internet, etc. Obviously, your cinema must be doing very well to ban its employees from buying tickets when off-duty! ;)
How did your employer notify you of the change to benefits and the ban from buying tickets?
What does your employment contract say in relation to staff benefits?

Lexie

30 April 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
Our employer notifyed us by memo on our staff memo board which we had to sign to show we had read it. I am unsure of what the employment contract says as we are not given a copy when employment started. If we ask for a copy we are given parts of the contract but not the full agreement. Technically buying a ticket when off duty shouldnt effect my employment contract anyway as I am not on duty or in uniform.

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney