Incorrect shop pricing

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

TanyaC

16 October 2017
I own a small business. I recently had a customer who brought an underpriced item to my counter and demanded to be charged the incorrect amount. I pointed out to the customer when I scanned the item that it was incorrect & I informed him of the correct price of the item. He ranted and raved and eventually stormed off. I was later told by one of my employees that she had seen the customer replacing the correct price with an incorrect sticker. We use gift price tags which are easily removed before gift wrapping occurs. I have always been lead to believe that I have a right to correct an incorrectly priced item at the counter before the customer completes his purchase. Occasionally my staff are the ones at fault when they manually price stock, but it seems it is also something customers can do. Most of our items are one of, so multiple items incorrectly priced are not usually the issue.
Was I within my rights to address the price discrepancy at the counter, before the purchase ?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I agree with Lart.