Divorce - rights for non residents

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

17 January 2018
I am a Pakistani citizen and married (Muslim marriage) to a Australian citizen (also a Pakistani citizen). We have been legally married in Pakistan law for 9 months but lived together only for approximately 12 days when my husband visited Pakistan. Since then he has returned to Australia and I was advised that he will be lodging my spouse visa once he arrives in Australia. Now he is saying he wants to divorce me with no valid grounds and will send the documents soon. There is no communication between me and him. He is not answering any calls. I want to know what are the procedures and laws of Australia or if i have any rights against my husband who turned out to be a cheat. I’m afraid that he may also try to do the same with other girls with no consideration of the emotional pain and suffering he causes to the girl and their family. I’m a highly educated girl and fell for his deception and want to understand if I have rights against him.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Not in Australia. Divorce is a no-fault matter in Australia. You may have rights to a property split under Australian law. But 9 months is not long so I don't see much advantage to you here if he has most of the premarital property.

I have no idea what Pakistani law is on divorce and property.