QLD Charged with Theft - Chances of Going to Jail?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ben463

29 April 2016
Hello,

I have been charged with the above offence on 1 count. I have cooperated fully with QPS and have returned the goods in question. The goods were 1 ring, 1 watch and 1 set of earrings totalling a retail value of 11.5k

I would not like to get into the reasons for the theft and am extremely remorseful for what I have done.

How likely is it that I will see the inside of a jail cell? This is my first criminal charge laid against me.

S

Sophea

Hi ben,

The maximum sentence for stealing is 5 years in prison, unless there was burglary involved in which it goes up to 14 years.

Whether you will receive a prison sentence will depend on your criminal history, how you cooperate with authorities and how you present in court and of course the circumstances behind the stealing. Sorry can't be more specific. Ask your lawyer, or speak with legal aid or a community legal centre about getting representation to get your best chances at minimising your sentence.