Charged with Centrelink Fraud for Second Time?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
8 June 2014
I have been summoned to appear in court under criminal law for obtaining a financial advantage (fraud) from Centrelink while on good behaviour . The first time no criminal record was recorded but I was ordered to pay $1000 bond if it happened again. I've recently lost my partner due to an accident and I now live alone with my 2 kids. I work six days a week .I have already paid back some of the debt. What do you think will happen on the day of court?

Amanda E

9 April 2014
Hi Amanda,
Whereabouts are you located? It might be worthwhile having a chat with your local Legal Aid, Womens' Legal Services Centre or community legal centre before your court date.

The punishment would depend on the seriousness of the offence, your history and circumstances - see:

willow

4 April 2015
Hey Amanda how did you go??
We really aren’t the lucky country for single parents anyway... more than 51% of single parents on the single parent payment are living under the poverty line. It’s a real statistic. And it sucks. No wonder there is so much fraud committed.