Car Repaired Without Approval - Collect While in Dispute?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Verity Dunn

4 May 2014
A car was purchased with 12 months AWN warranty. The car broke down and was sent to the mechanic, recommended by the AWN warranty people. The quote was sent to them to approve the warranty claim, but the mechanic has gone ahead and repaired the car without the approval from AWN or myself. Can I legally collect my car while I dispute the cost under Australian Consumer Law?

rebeccag

8 April 2014
G'day Verity
Also, have you asked that the repairer provide you with an itemised bill for services provided? (This request can include a list of materials or parts used, details of the number of hours charged and the hourly rate.)

Verity Dunn

4 May 2014
Hi Verity,
  1. Are you disputing the cost or is Australian Warranty Network (AWN) (as warranty provider)?
  2. What AWN warranty do you have?
Thanks John , I am disputing the cost with AWN but I have been without my car for 3weeks now & really need to get it back.
The warranty is the 'Advantage Contract'

Verity Dunn

4 May 2014
G'day Verity
Also, have you asked that the repairer provide you with an itemised bill for services provided? (This request can include a list of materials or parts used, details of the number of hours charged and the hourly rate.)

The mechanic had done a quote to the warranty company AWN in their name , he was referred by them , so I haven't asked as yet as I am disputing the cost with them but want to know where I stand on collecting my car while this in dispute.