NSW Car passed behind me while I reversed out of car park

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

PJM

29 June 2021
My vehicle is a tray back ute with a canvas canopy, it has left and right external mirrors.

I had parked nose first into a shopping centre car park and while reversing out of the park a car passed behind me and a collision occurred.
My vision was limited due to a vehicle parked on my left and I had good view to my right. I reversed out slowly while watching out of the left side mirror as I was moving out in that direction. My car was at least half a metre out of the parking bay and still moving at a slow rate. I switched view to looking out the driver side mirror at the point where I needed to be watching driver side front corner would clear the car parked on my right and then in my right side mirror, I saw a car which had come from my left side passing behind me. I braked and the impact occurred.

The other driver parked in a vacant parking bay and I moved my car back into the parking bay and got out to look at the other car.

The other car had a scrape mark in the paint across the rear guard and the plastic bumper skin. There was no damage forward of the rear guard or to the tyre and wheel rim.
IMG20210521141604.jpg IMG20210521141400.jpg

The other driver claimed they were stationary and I backed into them. I pointed to the damage and suggested the mark indicated they were moving, not stationary.

I saw no obvious damage to the back of my car.
IMG20210521142515.jpg

After I got home I noticed paint scrape remnant on a washer which is part of the driver side rear tailgate hinge of my car indicating where the contact point on my car was.

IMG20210521142447.jpg

The other driver has contacted their insurer and the insurer has sent me a letter stating I was at fault.

The other car was not in my view when I began to reverse out of the car park or when I switched view to the driver side mirror. The other driver chose to pass behind me after I was already partly out of the parking bay and moving slowly.

I need advice regarding the legal situation and what I should do next.

PJM

Attachments

• IMG20210521141604.jpg
    IMG20210521141604.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: