QLD Car Park incident responsibility

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

SimonB

31 August 2017
My insured vehicle (driven by my P-Plate son) entered the small shopping centre car park area that has parks to the left and right of the general driving area. My son decided to reverse park into a 90 degree parking spot on the left side. My son stopped perpendicular to and behind a car on the right side, which was occupied with it's brake lights on. My son then selected reverse to swing into the chosen park. It was noticed that the car to which my son had stopped behind now had it's reverse lights on, and was reversing at speed towards him. He was struck by the car in the front right wheel arch panel with force, which then reversed harder after initial contact was made. That car moved forward into it's original car park, and my son reversed into the original chosen spot. Both parties got out to discuss the incident. The other driver gave a mobile phone number, and my son got his rego number off the car. He stated that as he had his reverse lights on, and wasn't aware that there was a car behind him, we are at fault. He told my son to change his story to say that he had parked his car on the roadside, went into the shop, and discovered the damage upon returning to the car. I was called to the scene and then attended. When I asked him to remain at the scene so that a police report could be made, the other driver refused and left the scene (I have video footage of this). I filed a police report after returning home. He has since refused to provide his address, and is making no move to make an insurance claim. I have provided him with 2 quotes for repairs, which he scoffed at. I have all correspondence as texts for records.
It is my understanding that car park incidents can be a grey area of responsibility, however in this case, I believe that he has full responsibility. Due to the age of my son who was driving, we are facing a $2000 excess to make a claim. Could you please provide your take on responsibility, and my options from here? Many thanks.